Saturday, October 16, 2010

About work in New York City, live in New Jersey. Don't own a home. Which state do I file taxes for

Work in New York City, live in New Jersey. Don't own a home. Which state do I file taxes for?
I live in New Jersey, I'm Single and live with my parents so I don't pay rent. However I work and receive all of my income from New York. I've also changed jobs towards the end of last year but both jobs were located in New York City. Should I file for New York or New Jersey?
United States - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Lucky you-you'll probably need to file both. You'll need to file the NY return as a non-resident (I believe there's a NYC income tax return as well). Then, when you file NJ, there should be a form to attach that will show NJ how much income tax you've already paid to NY. It will be kind of a pain, unless you're really good with tax stuff. If you're not, a Jersey preparer will be able to help you without too much difficulty. Of, if you're a hands on kind of guy, buy Turbo Tax, get your NJ state download for free, then pay for the NY download (I think it's about $30). TurboTax can handle a multi-state return reasonably well.
2 :
new jersey
3 :
I believe there is also a NYC tax, so you will have to file that also.
4 :
You must file in both New York and New Jersey. You are a resident of New Jersey and need to file a non-resident return for NY State (IT-203). You pay taxes on the income you earned in NY and get a credit for that amount when you file in NJ. On your NJ return, you would be responsible for the taxes on things like taxable interest and investments, which would not be taxable in NY.
5 :
You need to file both.
6 :
New York City taxes are included as part of the NY state return, so you don't need to file a separate NYC return. You will need to file a NY return as a nonresident, and a New Jersey return as your primary state income tax. You should probably do the NY State return first, as the amount you have to pay to New York (state and city) may be deductible from from your New Jersey return.

 
Read more other entries :     
About do u think I can study fashion at Philadelph... 
About how much would you get if you lost 1/2 of yo...